Saturday, January 31, 2015

Real Southern Peach Cobbler

I have developed a new found love for baking since we moved here, and although my family doesn't mind, my love handles do. I'm trying to really cut back on how much sugar I eat, I decided that I will go sugar free all week long then on Sundays when we have our family night I will treat myself to a slice of dessert. So if I only get one sugar a week, you better believe I'm going to be pretty particular about what I bake and make it worth every single last calorie. This is the first week and I knew exactly what dessert I was going to make. This Southern Peach Cobbler. I grew up in Georgia where they take their peaches very seriously. I mean, 71 streets in Atlanta are named "Peachtree". So this dessert always brings me home. But even if you're not from the South, this cobbler is sure to become a favorite in your home as well..


9-10 fresh ripe peaches
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:
2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water
4 Tbs sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425. Peel, pit and slice peaches into thin wedges. In a large bowl, combine peaches, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a large baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl make the topping by combining the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Mix 4 Tbs sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle on cobbler. Bake until topping is golden and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Source | Allrecipes.com

 

No comments: