Monday, December 1, 2014

Pizookie Bars

I die. I want to kiss whoever invented the pizookie. It was the only reason I'd wait in line for over an hour at Oregano's. And it was worth every minute. I had been craving it so I took matters into my own hands. I kept seeing cookie bars pop up on pinterest so I used that idea to create this recipe using my favorite cookie dough, the filling from my favorite peanut butter truffle recipe and our homemade chocolate sauce, then added a pizookie twist. The results are out of this world. I made this twice in one week because we couldn't get enough. I don't even want to know how many calories I ate that week, but I don't regret a single one!


For the cookie:
3/4 C butter, room temp
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 C brown sugar
2 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 ½ C chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
 ½ tsp salt
2 eggs
For the filling:
1/8 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
For the sauce: 
½ C cream
1 ½ C chocoloate chips

Preheat oven to 350. For the cookie dough, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Sift flour, baking soda and salt then add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips then press half the dough into the bottom of a greased 8x9 inch baking dish. For the peanut butter filling, beat together corn syrup, peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth then spread across cookie dough. For the chocolate sauce, heat cream in sauce pan over med-high heat, but don’t let it boil. Turn off the heat then whisk in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour on top of peanut butter layer, reserving some to drizzle on top of each serving. Crumble remaining cookie dough on top until it is evenly covered then press lightly. Bake for 25-30 min or until center is just set. You don't want to overcook it, it's better when it's a little gooey. Allow to cool slightly then cut into squares and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of reserved chocolate sauce.

  

No comments: