Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

When my husband and I were poor newly wed college kids we had a job taking care of the sweetest twin disabled girls. It was such a rewarding experience in so many ways. Their family quickly became our family and so many times we would show up to take the girls out and their mom would have delicious homemade goodies waiting for us. These were my absolute favorite. Fifteen years later and they still are. I think of them every time I make them and am grateful for the wonderful people that I've had in my life. And when those wonderful people happen to be amazing bakers, it's just an added bonus :)


3/4 cup butter, softened
½ c sugar
1 c brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ c flour
2 c oatmeal
1 egg
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup peanut butter

Frosting:
3 c powdered sugar
1 ½ Tb cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs milk

Preheat oven to 325. Beat together butter, sugar, brown sugar and egg. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, oatmeal, baking soda and salt then mix into butter mixture until smooth. Press dough onto greased 9x12 pan. Bake for 15-17 min, or until light brown and fluffy. Let cool. Then spread peanut butter evenly on top. For frosting, combine all ingredients then whisk in milk until desired consistency is reached then spread on top of the peanut butter.

*Source: Ann Gonzales

 

No comments: