Thursday, December 11, 2014

Classic English Toffee

This is one of my all time favorite holiday treats. Years ago my sister and I would get together around the holidays and spend an entire day baking up a storm with little babies crawling around our feet. Thousands of miles separate us now, but I still make this every year and I still think of her every time I do. It is so simple to whip up yet looks fancy enough to pass out as gifts. And lets not even start with the buttery crunchy goodness covered in chocolate, because I may just have to pause and go make another batch. Especially considering that the batch I made today disappeared in approximately 5.2 minutes. I can't take all the blame, I was surrounded by happy faces stuffing their mouths too. Merry Christmas, and a very happy toffee to you too!


1 c real butter
1 c sugar
2 Tb water
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Line a 9x13" baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Mix butter, sugar and water and stir constantly over high heat until it starts to turn a caramel color, about 5-7 minutes from the time that it starts to boil. Pour into prepared baking dish. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top and spread with a spoon until melted and smooth. Sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate until cool, then pull ends of aluminum foil up to remove toffee from the dish and break into pieces. And then try to resist eating the entire pan by yourself.

 

No comments: