Sunday, December 28, 2014

Buttermilk Bran Muffins

Do you know what I miss from the states? Cold cereal. An entire aisle filled with nothing but cold cereal is something I will never take lightly again. We have about 5 different choices here, most of which have "wheat bix" in one form or another on the title. And most of which are like $7 per box. And not a single rainbow shaped marshmallow in sight, such a pity. I mean, it's like really a good thing I'm not pregnant here, that's all I ate for 9 months straight. But being forced to think outside of the cold cereal box has been a good thing. Whenever I think of bran I think of dry, tasteless and pretty much blah. These right here have changed my opinion. A friend of mine passed along this recipe years ago and I never thought I'd see my kids inhale anything bran related, but these disappear faster than any bowl of Lucky Charms and I can feel good knowing they're having a healthier start to their day.



1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease or line muffin tin. Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes. Beat together oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

*Source: Chelsea Figgins

 

No comments: