Saturday, November 29, 2014

Baked Tortellini

I mean, can you really go wrong with cheese filled pasta covered in cheese?  My kids and I could eat this stuff all day every day, but it takes more than dumping a jar of Ragu and mozzarella on some tortellini and baking it in the oven to impress my husband. So I was on a mission to create the best baked tortellini, one that everyone in the family would love. I came across the recipe for this pasta sauce a while ago on pinterest (sorry, I can't find the source anywhere now) and then went from there. The first time I made this my husband surprised himself at how much he loved it. He kept saying things like, "I don't usually like tortellini, but man,this stuff is so good!". Mission accomplished.


Family sized package of refrigerated tortellini
1 cup vegetable broth
1 jar pasta sauce (like Prego)
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried basil
Chicken, cooked and shredded (*optional-my husband likes dishes with meat in it, but when it's $17/kg then I tend to leave it out)
1-2 C baby spinach (stems trimmed)
2 C shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350. Cook tortellini according to package directions, meanwhile heat broth, pasta sauce, and cream in a skillet over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Drain cooked pasta then add to the skillet along with the shredded chicken and spinach. Stir and cook a few minutes until heated through and spinach begins to wilt. Pour into a baking dish and top with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.

  

No comments: